Tuesday, January 13, 2009

making cents

unless you reside under a stone, you might notice that the current economy is running on weak knees. when money is tight, there is a change in attitude among most people towards a more gloomy outlook or at least a darkening view of the world in general.
it came to me that, while not everyone has money; everyone has an attitude. what we bank into our attitude changes our attitude. in an unstable economy that is out of our control, we still have the ability to stabilize our attitude and bring it under control.
how we do this? first, let's imagine every encouraging word you use is worth one cent and every demeaning word subtracts one cent. while money is a limited item, there is no limit to the words you can use, so it's time to invest what you have.
you tell someone that you appreciate them. you have now deposited one cent into their "attitude account". you say hello to a co-worker instead of ignoring them. one cent into their "attitude account". now someone tells you they really liked the effort you put into something you did. one cent into your account. if this was to continue, we would all end up being "attitude millionaires". how does this help? it could change the very nature of our world.
we've seen how speculation, lies, rumours, thievery, terrorism and the like have been able to impact our economy to a devastating affect. isn't it time to see what truth, honesty, encouragement and the like can do to impact our economy?
why did people flock to Jesus wherever He went in His 3 years of ministry on the earth? He was the Love and the Hope to their normal, desperate lives. isn't it time we were the same?
its time to start making cents. it's time to start investing the unlimited words we have into other people in an effort to change the attitude of our times and impact our world.
if you have nothing, even something is worth everything. give someone who has nothing something today. keep it up. see what happens.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey can I file bankruptcy and start over just like in real life? By bank account is not only so far in the negative, that I can not see the day light. I guess once in a while we need a mulligan (a do over for all of you that do not play golf). Since today is the 1st day of the rest of my life, I am turning a new leaf, more positive encouraging words than demeaning negative words.
Josh, GREAT blog, see you are now 1 cent richer and I am on the way to sowing the seed to another attitude millionaire....
To God be All of the Glory...

joshua conti said...

good point jeff- i think we filed bankruptcy when we asked Jesus into our lives. He's the one whos passed out more fresh starts than the government will ever be able to...
and Jeff- you're one of the most hard working people i've ever met- i know God will not let you down.
- you just got a 100 percent return on your investment!

Anonymous said...

Man, you said it. Whenever I haphazardly stumble into the Letter of James, his discussion of using your tongue for good and not evil always kicks my butt. Good post.

joshua conti said...

thanks for the comment matt... im glad you brought up james - i should have included james 1:26 in my post... the weymouth new testament says it best, i think: "If a man thinks that he is scrupulously religious, although he is not curbing his tongue but is deceiving himself, his religious service is worthless." and theres psalms 34:13 which tells us to: "Keep your tongue from evil And your lips from speaking deceit.(nasb)" i could keep going! with such a stong theme running through the bible, i think its a safe bet to keep our tongue from speaking anything but truth and encouragement...

Anonymous said...

Josh, you're comment absolutely killed me today! Genius. Also, I didn't know you had this blog, because your comments lead to a profile that doesn't include anything. I just happened across your blog by some completely random occurence. It's like a secret! I like secrets, but I don't know if you want it to be a secret, so I just thought I'd point it out if it was something you wanted to fix.

Anonymous said...

And I just now see that you started 'following' my blog! So thanks for that. I'm glad to have you in my group. And I see that you do indeed have two profiles, so please ignore my attempt to be helpful! But I'm glad that now I can check up on your writing. God bless and happy blogging!

joshua conti said...

@matt thanks! and youre welcome and yes, i do have 2 accounts- its the curse of having 2 gmail accounts that both hold importance in my communications with the outside world =) im glad in ran into you via SCL- its good to find bloggers like yourself who help make being a Christian a worthwhile, human experience =)