Wednesday, October 01, 2008

a love of money

i normally don't write about political or economic situations here, but i feel compelled to express what's spinning through my head as we watch wall st., the government and the world deal with the current economic "crisis".
i'm not going to discuss or outline what's going on but rather there's a point i want to drive at.
"Your life should be free from the love of money. Be satisfied with what you have, for He Himself has said, I will never leave you or forsake you. 6 Therefore, we may boldly say:
The Lord is my helper;
I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
7 Remember your leaders who have spoken God's word to you. As you carefully observe the outcome of their lives, imitate their faith. 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." (Hebrews 13:5-8 HCSB)

what we are witnessing is a perverse love of money showing it's true colours on a grand scale. i'm not saying that i have never loved money or what it could bring me, but i do know that God has instructed me to be free of the love of money. and now more than ever, i intend to do so.

fear is the absence of faith. because God has said that He will never leave me, i can boldly state that I will not be afraid. then why do i currently find myself fearful and doubting? because i'm not free from the love of money.
the stock market is crashing. banks are collapsing. my tax dollars are going to help people that probably dont need my help. bills are due. i have a kid on the way. gas costs way too much. nothing is free anymore. etc...
where is this fear coming from? a love of money. we love money to much to give up worrying about it. we fear what could happen if we dont have it. we hold dear every bit of it we have and burn in jealousy at the bit of it we don't have.
i find it hard to be content with what i have. i have a good car but it could be a better car. i have a nice apartment but it's no 3 bed 2 bath house. i have a good job but its a lousy job. what fuels my desire to be discontent? money. for, in order to upgrade all i have, i would need more money.
God says be free of the love of that discontent. be content with what i have. why? He will never leave me alone. That's why i can say that He is my help; i am not afraid. what can man do to me? after all, if He can clothe the grass that is cut and thrown away; and feed the birds of the air, He can most certainly provide for me.
if i'm sitting here, becoming more worried by every new thing that happens in the stock market or the way things go at work or all the bills and things that need to be paid- then it's up to me to free myself from the love of my discontent. The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid, for faith is the absence of fear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meditation For The Day

God irradiates your life with the warmth of His spirit.
You must open up like a flower to this divine irradiation.
Loosen your hold on earth, its cares, and its worries.
Unclasp your hold on material things, relax your grip, and
the tide of peace and serenity will flow in. Relinquish
every material thing and receive it back again from God.
Do not hold on to earth's treasures so firmly that your
hands are too occupied to clasp God's hands as He holds
them out to you in love.

I hope this sums it all up for everyone...

Anonymous said...

You write very well.